Archive for category Windows 10 IoT
I found that a good place to get started with the Windows 10 Iot Core is on the Microsoft developer’s site:
This site provided a good introduction and provides a section on prepping your PC. So I can get started on this right away.
Set up your PC page
The setup was fairly simple for me as I already have Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 installed. So I went through the check list quickly:
- Windows 10 (10.0.10240 +) Check
- Install Visual Studio 2015 Check
- VS 2015 Update 1 and + Check
- Validate Visual Studio 2015 (14.0.24720.00) Check/Done
- Install IoT Core Project Templates (Tools > Extensions and Update > Online) Done
- Enable developer mode on Windows 10 device. Done
There are a couple of important things to know:
On step 4 you may need to Add the Visual Studio Tools for Universal Windows Apps if they are not already installed. To add this to Visual Studio do this follow:
- Control Panel -> Programs and Features
- Select your installation of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
- Right click Change
- Select Modify in the Installer
- Select Features > Windows and Web Development > Universal Windows App Development Tools
- Click Update / Install.
- This may take a while…
For step 5, the step are:
- In Visual Studio click Tools > Extensions and Update > Online
- Type IoT in the search box
- Select Windows IoT Core Project Templates
For step 6, this is about turning off the nagging screen whenever you run a Universal application from Visual Studio. You can read the full instructions. The steps are basically:
- From the Windows Start Menu
- Settings. Choose Update & security
- Choose For developers
- Select Developer mode
- Read the disclaimer and click Yes
Set up your Raspberry Pi 2 page
If we continue on the setting up the Setting up your Raspberry Pi 2 page. They download an install the IoT Dashboard tool. I decided to download this and install it right now.
We are now ready to go once I receive the Raspberry Pi.
Next we will start looking at code and examples.